THE CONYERS FIRST STORY
Conyers First United Methodist Church was founded in 1852 and continues a rich tradition of service to our community.
21 people organized the Conyers Methodist Episcopal Church, South at the site of our current Sanctuary on Main Street. The Reverend Caleb W. Key was our first pastor.
The congregation outgrew the first Sanctuary, so they sold it and rolled it down Main Street to Pleasant Hill. A new white frame Sanctuary with a single tall steeple was erected.
Woman's Foreign Missionary Society was organized in the church.
Local vandals went “berserk” and burned the church. A new, more modern church was built two years later. Iron stoves and kerosene lamps were still the means of heating and lighting, but an organ replaced the tuning fork.
The church burned again, this time by accident.
Our current Sanctuary was constructed for $14,000.
Electricity was brought into the new Sanctuary.
A mass community prayer meeting was held in our church as World War I was in a most critical stage.
Conyers First, in conjunction with the Presbyterians and Baptists, conducted a community Vacation Bible School with an enrollment of 26.
The Conyers “Tent” was built at Salem Campground. It was later sold in the 40s.
The long struggle of the Methodist Episcopal Church for unification with the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was completed and the whole became The Methodist Church.
A drive was launched to raise $5,000 for a Church School building. By 1949, the building financial campaign was completed with $28,000 and construction began.
The new Church School building was dedicated. Total church membership was 346. An Adult Choir and Methodist Men’s Club was organized.
The Sanctuary was remodeled and office space was added.
The current Fellowship Hall and two story adult education wing were built.
Outreach ministry in Lakeview Estates began.
Servant of the Lord Meals on Wheels Weekend Program was established.
Conyers First votes to initiate a building program for additional children and youth space.
Contemporary Worship service was established.
Angel Food ministry was established.
Conyers First celebrated 150 year anniversary and kicked off fund-raising campaign for building program.
Sunday Evening Vespers service was started.
Connect Group ministry with Lay Pastors was implemented with 30 groups for the purpose of nurturing and caring for the congregation.
Conyers First opens the new two-story Children's & Youth Building, remodels the Narthex with elevator access and accessible restrooms and opens the new Administrative Office Wing with Conference Room.